Thursday, January 12, 2012

No Soup for You


Day 102
“How do you get your kids to eat that?” a friend asks.  We’re at lunch and discussing the never-ending question of what to make for dinner.  

“I only make one meal.  If they don’t eat dinner, I tell them the next meal being served is breakfast.” 

I can’t tell if she thinks I’m a genius or hard-hearted. 

A few weeks ago, I cracked open Betty Crocker and found something other than tacos to make for dinner.  I want to stretch my kids’ culinary horizons further than chicken nuggets, tacos and spaghetti. 

We vote on all new meals: Keeper or Stinker.

I share my recent favorite, pumpkin wild rice soup. 

“I’d love that recipe,” she says. 

How many times has a friend said she’d like a recipe, the name of that book you’re reading or your hairdresser’s name?  How many times has the comment floated away?  No?  Only me?  If I don’t write something down, it’s gone.  The fact that NPR is reporting this week the mental decline of persons over 45 doesn’t encourage me that my memory will improve as I age.   

Not today.  I type out the recipe and hit send. 

Maybe her kids will like it better than mine did.

Pumpkin Wild Rice Soup
1 cup chopped onion 
2 Tbl butter 
4 cups chicken broth 
1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin (may substitute 2 cups cooked butternut or buttercup squash) 
1 1/3 cups cooked wild rice 
1/8 tea white pepper 
1 cup heavy cream 
snipped fresh chives or parsley 


Saute the onion in the butter in a large saucepan for 5 minutes.  Stir in the broth and pumpkin.  Heat, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.  Stir in the wild rice and pepper.  Continue to heat for another 10 minutes.  Stir in the cream and heat through; do not boil.  Garnish with chives or parsley and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment