Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year’s Resolutions


Day 93
If you hold the common assumption that since I write about kindness I must have lofty New Year’s resolutions, you’d be wrong. 

While I’m all for world peace, my goals are much simpler.  I want to stop biting my nails.  I want to count to ten when my boys test my patience.  I want to learn to apply eye shadow.  (Those are not in any particular order.) 

To be clear, I am not one of the millions who vow to eat better and exercise more. 

As a self-confessed gym-rat, I’ll wait in line with those many millions for the elliptical in the January rush of New Year’s optimism.      

I hear people complain about the January crowds.  Come on, people.  Do we really want to discourage anyone from making a healthy change in his or her life? 

Keeping a regular gym schedule needs to be fun.  Different things motivate different people: a good book, the latest music, new gym friends.  When I’m at the gym, I love me a trashy tabloid. 

I keep a stack of magazines on the foot of the stairs.  When I finish a People or my son is done reading his Sports Illustrated, I add it to the pile.

I grab the dozen mags and head to the gym and drop them in the bookcase.

If it helps someone else keep a resolution, I’m all for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment