Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Domino Effect


Day 101
A bonus of this year-long experiment is the unexpected kindnesses that my boys continue to show to one another.

I don’t want to give the impression that they’re angels.  They’re brothers.  All parents know that there’s no one more fun to torment than someone who shares your DNA. 

Which is why what A. did tonight surprised me. 

After a bath or shower, each of my boys needs to drop his dirty clothes down the chute in our master bathroom. 

Ian drags his feet and complains.  Always.  As our “easy” child, I don’t understand why.  (Having admitted that he’s an easy child, I’ve guaranteed he’ll grow into a full-fledged hellion in high school.)

“Clothes.  Chute.”  I really should loop this on a recorder to save my voice.   

“But…” and it starts.    

I read an article once that talked about how people expended all their positive energy with friends and strangers.  When it came to interacting with their families, their reserves were empty.  Shouldn’t the people you love the most get the best parts of you?

Without prompting, A. gathers up his and I.’s clothes.

“What are you doing?”  Usually the boys don’t do any extra chore unless money changes hands. 

“I’m putting the clothes down the chute.” 

“You’re taking I.’s, too?” 

He nods. 

“Why?”  I expect some explanation involving a back-room deal.

“Because I know he doesn’t like to.” 

Our kids never cease to surprise us, do they?    

No comments:

Post a Comment