Friday, December 2, 2011

Mr. Tax Man


Day 61
The holiday hoopla is ramping up.  The traffic is heavy and there’s no parking.  A spin through the Square nets us no parking. 

We find a questionable spot in a neighborhood two blocks away.  The nose of the car kisses the adjacent driveway but what can we do?  We’re late.  It’s a little past seven o’clock as my friend Christy and I rush towards Teller’s in Hyde Park for our friend’s 40th birthday celebration.

Walking briskly up Edwards, I pull a handful of quarters from my pocket and start feeding meters as we walk towards the Square. 

“You’re probably wondering what I’m doing,” I start. 

She shakes her head no.  “I know you well enough to know exactly what you’re doing.” 

I smile and drop another quarter in a meter.  Looking more closely at the blinking read-out I see in red print: Please Pay Between the Hours of 8 am – 6 pm

“It’s after six!” I say, stating the obvious.

“I wondered why you were putting quarters in,” she says.

I’m counting this as a random act of kindness towards the city tax collector. 

You’re welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment