Friday, December 2, 2011

Ante Up


Day 62
I’m not proud to admit that I sometimes go cheap when it comes to buying supplies to donate: mittens from the dollar bin at Target, toys from the clearance shelf at Walmart, canned veggies on sale. 

A.’s kindergarten teacher collects books each December to donate to a local health clinic.  She asks for books in lieu of any traditional holiday teacher gifts saying “teaching our kids is enough of a present.”  If you knew her, you’d know she means it.  Mrs. H is one of the kindest teachers my kids have ever been lucky enough to have.  She unlocks the mystery of letters and sounds and gives Montgomery Elementary kids the lifelong gift of reading.      

Shopping today I found four of my kids’ favorite Dr. Suess classics.  We’ve spent countless nights reading (and re-reading) Oh the Thinks you can Think! and Hop on Pop.  F. can recite from memory Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb.       

These books are going to kids without books.  Let me clarify: kids without lots. 

If they only have one or two, shouldn’t it be a good one?  I know what Mrs. H. would say.    

No comments:

Post a Comment