Friday, November 18, 2011

Super Hero Powers


Day 48
F. checked out (for the third time) a book titled My Mom is Trying to Ruin My Life.  I’m beginning to get a complex.  When I joked if he was trying to tell me something he shrugged in reply.  Then smiled.  He’s got the comedic timing of a seasoned stand-up. 

F. is too cool for school.  He doesn’t want me to acknowledge him in front of his friends.  If I could wait on the curb with the engine running, that would be just fine with him. 

“Ruining his life!” I grouse to my husband.  As if. 

Luckily my kindergartener A. still thinks I have super hero powers.  (That’s a story for another day.) 

Today, while volunteering at the school, A. ran up to me and threw his arms around my legs in an embrace when I walked into his classroom.  It was a greeting worthy of a veteran returning home after a two-year overseas tour.  Ah, it’s nice to be wanted.  

Other kids get equally excited to see moms not their own.

“Can I be next?”  Kids are lining up to practice counting coins with me.   

“Absolutely,” I pat the child-sized chair for her to sit down.   

She breaks into a smile and happily scouts her chair closer to mine.  I have witnessed this same sweet girl running and screaming from her mother as if the woman was carrying fire.      

No comments:

Post a Comment