Thursday, February 2, 2012

Play Away


Day 120
Our public library carries self-contained audio books called Playaways.  To use these handy things, you need only a Triple-A battery and a set of headphones.  Plug yourself in and you’re ready to go. 

I’m listening to Tina Fey’s Bossy Pants and wonder if the neighbors think I’m nuts when I walk past their house with Spot laughing so hard I’m nearly in tears.  Her delivery is pitch-perfect and her writing is smart with a bite.

For someone like me who’d rather listen to a book than music while walking or at the gym, I think they are darn near genius.  If I love Playaways, surely others who frequent our library branch love them too.

We keep an entire shelf of batteries in a variety of sizes in the downstairs bathroom cabinet.  I grab a couple and head out. 

The Playaways fill several shelves.  I pick Ape House by Sara Gruen and The Sixth Man by David Baldacci.  I figure being popular authors there’s a high likelihood that these two titles will be checked out soon.

I slide back the battery jacket.  Empty.  I fill it.  I slide back the second.  Also empty.  I fill that too.  I walk back towards the front door, slip my books into the return slot and laugh like Tina Fey on the way back to my car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment