Saturday, October 20, 2012

OPEN for Business


Day 288
Through my rain splattered windshield I see the CLOSED sign posted by the front door.  That’s not right, I think, looking down at my watch that reads a quarter after ten. 

“You want to wait?” I ask I. who seems content to do just that from the warmth of the backseat as I run into the library to return books.  He nods that he does and I jump out of the car and sprint up the front steps to dodge the rain. 

Through the clear glass doors, I see the lights and people browsing through the shelves.  The library is clearly open. 

Pulling back the front door, I step in and unhook the sign and flip the five-foot, vinyl sign to OPEN.  

“Oh, good, fixing the sign,” says a passing mom entering through the front door with her little girl and an armful of books. 

I drop our books at the returns desk, turn and dash back to the car and my waiting fourth grader.

When I tell him about the sign flipping he tenses up.  “Are you supposed to do that?” my by-the-book kid asks.  

I tell him I was helping but he’s not buying it.  “I don’t think you’re supposed to do that,” he repeats, clearly not impressed with my quick thinking or act of random kindness.     

No comments:

Post a Comment