Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I Won't Say I Know


Day 281
Looking at my life, I know I have it pretty good.  Great kids.  Supportive husband.  Nice house.  Loyal friends.  For us, life seems to get better with each passing year. 

My brother and I have shared several conversations recently about the state of the economy.  I hear him but admit in my insulated bubble I don’t feel the pinch.  It’s hard to understand the depth and devastation of long-term unemployment, living without health insurance or losing a home unless it happens to you. 

I’m thinking of all these things as I return from a trip to Over-the-Rhine to drop off boxes of toothpaste, laundry detergent and bath towels as part of a school collection for the Make a Difference committee that I co-chair. 

Looking down Vine Street, it’s hard not to see in very concrete terms how a bad economy continues to effect the quality of life for so many in our community.    

I won’t insult anyone by claiming I understand how it feels, because I don’t.  What I will do is appreciate what I have and not take it for granted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment