Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Get Over Your Kind Self

Day 3

When I had the idea for this blog, it never occurred to me that some people would react negatively.  I thought of it as my own personal social experiment.  What would I learn in a year?  What would my kids learn?  Would I actually stick with the plan?

That’s why this unnamed person’s comment took me off guard.  I mean who’s against kindness, right?

“It’s a little braggy.” 

“What?  My blog?” 

“Well, yeah.  You’re just going to write about all the nice things you do for other people for a year?” 

I mean I’m nice, but I’m not that nice.  I was NOT feeling kindness and benevolence at that particular moment. I mean, is she worried people will think I’m the nicer sister?  Oh, did I give it away?   

To clarify, it was never my intention to shout to the world, “Look at me!  Look at how kind I am!  How thoughtful!”  This shouldn’t be a one-way conversation.  I want to hear from you.  I only want to spark a conversation on how to become more kind.  I'm looking for ideas.   

My husband, the voice of reason in our house, suggested I turn her comment on its face and make her the recipient of my random kindness.  And I will.  But not today. 

Today I baked brownies for a friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.        

And to my sister, I want you to know they were the chewiest, most chocolaty, most AWESOME brownies ever.  They may even have medicinal powers of healing.  

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog and I am SO glad that I did. I recently (4 months ago) started serving with my kids every day. We call it "pennies of time"--http://penniesoftime.blogspot.com/ and I come across the negativity as well. Would love to chat with you about what you have done: penniesoftime@gmail.com

    Thank you for having the courage to teach your children! Sheila

    ReplyDelete