Monday, September 26, 2011

Litter Bug


Day 8

Since many of my random acts of kindness have been convert operations, I haven’t been able to accurately gauge how people are reacting.    

I hope when my unsuspecting neighbor returned from work and found his trash can and recycling bin pulled from the curb to his house he was pleased.  

I would be.  I’d think, “Alright, one less thing for me to do tonight.  Thanks, mystery trash person!”  But I’m projecting. 

I think it’s important to note with respect to full disclosure that when I go to a restaurant I’m so happy that someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning, I don’t care what the waitress brings me.  Wrong order?  Doesn’t matter.  At least I don’t have to do the dishes. 

If I came home and someone had raked my leaves or shoveled my snow-covered drive, I’d smile all day.   

My neighbor could react differently from me both at home and in a restaurant.  Maybe it was less “Alright” and more “Why THERE?  I never put the can THERE.  Geez.  The nerve of some people.” 

Having said this, I don’t think the idea that someone might not like your random act of kindness should deter you from doing something nice. 

My opinion (based on no scientific evidence whatsoever) is 99.9 percent of people will appreciate a kindness.  With odds like that, what can go wrong? 

No comments:

Post a Comment