Monday, September 19, 2011

Let's Start a Movement

I'm ready to do something radical.  Something even a little crazy.

For the next 365 days, I'm going to do one random act of kindness to a complete stranger and blog about it.

Why now?  Why not?

I don't think kindness needs to wait until the start of a new month or as an add-on to a growing list of new year's resolutions.

What I'm hoping for is a movement.  Join me.   The act doesn't need to be showy.  It doesn't have to be big.  It's the act of kindness that is important.

I've always loved that insurance company's commercial that shows one person picking up a child's doll and handing it to her.  The mother of the child then helps another.  And the cycle begins.  

Bad things can happen in cycles too.  A brother pinches a sibling.  The sibling kicks the dog.  The dog bites the mailman then the mailman in turn drops a pile of letters into a puddle.  

Why not start the cycle in a positive direction? 

I tell my kids to "be the change you want to see in the world."  You want the world to be a kinder place? Lead the way.

I challenge you to do one kind thing to a complete stranger EVERY DAY for an entire year. Report back here.  Tell us what you did.  Tell us about the reaction you received.  Tell us how it made you feel.  

Do it as a family.  Do it by yourself.

Don't forget to check back in to tell us how you're doing.  I'll report from my three blocks of Cincinnati.  Let's see how far we can make this movement grow.  



No comments:

Post a Comment