Sunday, July 1, 2012

Good Morning, Sunshine


Day 236
I pull into the intersection to check for oncoming traffic and slam on the brakes just in time to avoid being sideswiped by an older model black Honda accord barreling towards me.  The driver flips me the bird as he whizzes past.  He’s also yelling.  I can’t make out his words but don’t think it’s “Have a nice day.” 

Where did he come from?

Wow.  Not really the way I like to start my day.  Take a breath.   

I turn right onto Main where I see the same Honda stopped by a red light one block away.  I have no choice but to pull up behind him. 

He sees me in his rearview mirror and starts cursing and motioning some more. 

I often tell my kids that being nice to someone who isn’t nice to you is one of the hardest things to do.  Time to put up or shut up.    

“What’s he saying, Mom?” F. asks from the back seat. 

“Good morning.  I think he’s saying ‘Good morning’,” I answer. 

The man becomes more and more agitated when I don’t react to his rant.  I should, I think. 

Be nice to those who aren’t nice to you, I repeat.  I smile and give him a 4th of July float wave. 

“What are you doing?” F. asks again. 

“Wishing him a ‘Good Morning’ back,” I say.

The light changes and he slams on the gas to get away.  Ah, well.    

No comments:

Post a Comment