Monday, June 18, 2012

Stiff Upper Lip


Day 229
I’m not one who feels comfortable asking for help.  I’ll readily give it but feel squeamish if a friend offers to reciprocate.  I blame the British in me.  Keep your upper lip firmly in place and battle on. 

I’m working on this.  Today presents me a perfect opportunity to try.   

My boys have been (Ahem) unkind again to my computer and the power cord that connects it to the wall sparks.  I’ve ordered a new cord but it will be four days (!!) until it arrives.  How in heavens name can I be unconnected for that eternity?

In desperation, I post a plea on Facebook and immediately get several responses.  Who knew help was only a post away?  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.    

You know the old saying, “You can dish it out but you can’t take it”?  My parents used to tell us this if my brother, sister or I  teased one another but dissolved into tears when we became the target.  

I think about this and flip the saying on its head:  If you give it, be willing to take it.


It's a simple matter of karma.  If you're nice to others, they're nice to you.  It's something I tell my boys all the time.  I love it when I'm right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment