Monday, April 16, 2012

You Like Dogs? I Like Dogs.


Day 187
The boys, Lucky and I bound across the street to talk to our new neighbors, a family with two boys, and invite them over.  They won’t move in until the end of the school year but are spending nights and weekends painting and cleaning.        

“Want to play?” A. asks their youngest. 

The boy looks to his mom who she nods her head yes before the two run across the street to our house and dash upstairs to A.’s room.  It’s that easy.  For kids, seeing the world from the same height is enough to start and maintain a long, lasting friendship. 

With adults, it’s not so easy. 

For the last several weeks, I’ve been resisting a Linked In invitation.  I don’t know how I feel about it.  I don’t know the person sending the invitation very well and don’t understand why she’d send it to me in the first place.     

We see the world from the same height but I feel at my age I may need something more solid to build a relationship on.  Or do we?  Maybe sharing only one or two common interests is enough.  Maybe I need to be more open-minded and accept a chance at finding more than I expect.   

I’ve seen this woman walking her dogs in the neighborhood and I think maybe I’ve been rash in my judgment.  I mean, she likes dogs…I like dogs.  I log in and click “accept.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment