Monday, April 16, 2012

Half Way There


Day 186
When the boys and I started our year of random kindness, we didn’t know what to expect.  I thought it might naturally lose steam and we’d fizzle out in a few weeks time.  (Just ask my husband about all my other “great ideas” that somehow never took off.) 

Now at the six-month mark, no one is more surprised than me that we’re still cooking with gas and chugging along.  I only wish we’d started earlier.    

Our top five lessons learned in no particular order are (drum roll, please):

1.     The boys and I can choose to be kind even if we’re having a bad day.      
2.     When you’re kind to a bully, you take away his or her power.
3.     It doesn’t matter what motivates one to commit a random act of kindness, only that he or she does. 
4.     Reactions of complete strangers push us to find new and fun ways to incorporate kindness.  Nothing is funnier than a dropped jaw.  
5.     Sometimes it’s harder to be nice to a brother than a total stranger.

An added bonus to the last six months are the stories people share with us about all of their random acts of kindness.  From giving pizza to a homeless man to helping a stranger find his way, the list goes on and on and on. 

So, let’s mark the halfway point in a big way.  Commit a random act of kindness and leave your story in the comment section.  This blog isn’t (or shouldn’t) only be about me and my boys.  It’s also about you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment