Friday, February 10, 2012

Spinning World


Day 129
I notice a dark-haired woman to my left struggling with the controls.  She looks uncomfortable.  Her eyes nervously dart from one bike to another.  It’s as if a bubble floats above her head, “These spinners are a serious bunch.  They have special shoes.”   

“May I help?” I offer.  The woman two bikes over jumps in as well. 

The two of us adjust the newcomer’s bike seat so it hits her at the hip.  We push the seat forward and raise her handlebars.  When it comes to spinning, we may all be borderline fanatics, but we’re also a welcoming, helpful bunch. 
 
“I don’t know about this,” Liz, our new classmate, tells us.  “I’ve never done this before.” 

“It’s great!” someone shouts.  “You’ll love it!” another adds. 

“What about these gears?” she asks. 

“No one can see them but you,” I explain. 

It’s one of the great things about spinning.  You control every class.  Unlike my clumsy grapevine that threatens to take out an entire row at aerobics, here, it’s you and the bike.  And no one needs to know if you didn’t make it up that last hill. 

The important thing about today is you showed up, I want to say, but don’t because I don’t want to sound condescending.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, costs associated with being overweight or obese in the United States are staggering.  Most recent numbers estimate that as a nation we spend $147 billion annually.  That’s billion with a B.   

Welcoming a new face to the gym and encouraging her to come back next week helps us all.  Support a friend when he starts a new exercise program.  Congratulate him when he meets weight loss goals.

Changing your life by adopting healthy habits is tough.  Let’s help each other succeed.   

“What did you think?” I pant. 

“I liked it,” Liz smiles.  “I’ll be back.”  The lady to the right cheers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment